Botanical Name: Piper Longum
English Name: Indian Long Pepper
Tamil Name: Thippili
Hindi Name: Pipara/ Pipli / Pippali
Malayalam Name: Kattuthippili, Tippali.
Telugu Name: Pippalu/ Pippali
Thippili is very very famous all over Tamil Nadu and is used extensively in home remedies. Not only in Tamil Nadu, has long pepper been in use all over the world from ancient times. We use both the dried fruits and the roots of the plant in remedies. The fruits are called “Arisi Thippili ” in Tamil and the roots are called “Kandathippili in Tamil “. Thippili is called Long Pepper (or) Indian Long Pepper in English, Pippali. Its botanical name is Piper Longum and it is widely used in Ayurveda. Thippili is one of the three ingredients that make up the very famous trikatu (we call it thirikadugam in Tamil), which by itself signifies its importance in Ayurvedic medicine.
Benefits of Thippili (Indian Long Pepper):-
- It is used for treating depression, weight loss, all kinds of inflammation and diabetes.
- Long pepper has anti oxidant, anti depressant.
- It has anti inflammatory, anti microbial, analgesic.
- It is a anti fungal and cardio protective.
- It controls hiccups, controls headache, vitamin B1 deficiency, fever, headache and stroke.