Banyan is a tree with tremendous medicinal qualities, in Ayurvedic medicine system, it is used for treatment of innumerable diseases. These remedies are simple, safe and can be done at home without any problem.
- Ayurvedic medicine: The juice and fruits are useful as externally applied medicines for cuts, bruises, sores and ulcers. Banyan fruit and juice are used in rheumatism, lumbago, tooth and gum aches. They can also be taken internally to cure diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Tests have shown that the sap from banyan when applied locally on rheumatic patients, showed significant improvement. The effect was similar to that of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
- Control of cholesterol: The bark of banyan is useful in controlling cholesterol. Studies have shown that banyan bark can control cholesterol to a significant extent. It decreases LDL or bad cholesterol while HDL or good cholesterol levels are maintained.
- Antibacterial properties: According to one study, banyan bark and juice possess anti-bacterial properties to a significant extent.
- Improves immune system: Research on banyan says that taking banyan bark and juice on a regular basis will improve the immune function of the body and helps fight against disease causing microorganisms.