Botanical Name: Rheum australe D.DON
Tamil: Cinakkilanku1, Iraval chinni, ireval cinni,
Hindi: Archa, dolu, hindi-revand-chini
Telugu: Nattu reval-chinni, nattu-pasupu-china-gadda
Tamil: Cinakkilanku1, Iraval chinni, Ireval cinni
Rheum emodi is a stout herb found in Himalayan region. It is a leafy perennial herb of 1.5-3.0 m in height. It has large radical leaves. The leaves are edible and eaten as vegetable. It bears ovoid-oblong, 13 mm long, purple fruits. The roots and rhizomes are the main parts used as drug and are collected in October to November.
- Rheum assists in digesting undigested food, but do not increase the appetite.
- Gives relief in Hiccups.
- It promotes the secretion of urine.
- It is used to destroy parasitic worms in stomach.
- It act as liver tonic and increase production of bile in liver.
- It reduces weight and fat.
- The paste of roots with vinegar is applied topically on affected parts for skin marks.
- Externally they are used for cleaning teeth.