Botanical Name: Strychnos nux-vomica
Family: Family: Loganiaceae (Logania family)
Tamil: Yetti , Yetti-kottai
Kannada: Kasarkana mara
Plant Description :
Nux Vomica is a medium-sized tree with a short, crooked, thick trunk. The wood is white hard, close grained, durable. Branches are irregular, covered with a smooth ash-coloured bark. Young shoots are deep green, shiny. Oppostely arranged short stalked leaves are elliptic, shiny, smooth on both sides, about 4 inches long and 3 broad. Flowers are small, greenish-white, funnel shaped, borne in small clusters at the end of branches They have a disagreeable smell. Fruit is about the size of a large apple with a smooth hard shell which when ripe is orange colored, filled with a soft white jelly-like pulp containing five seeds. The seeds are like flattened disks densely covered with closely appressed satiny hairs, radiating from the centre of the flattened sides and giving to the seeds a characteristic sheen.
• It is used for digestive problems such as constipation, bloating.
• It is helps to reduce headaches and migraines.
• It is effective for erectile dysfunction.
• Nux Vomica helps for heart and blood system disorders.
• It stimulates the appetite.
• Nux vomica is often used for the early stages of a cold or flu.
• It is recommended for the problems related to menopause, and respiratory diseases in the elderly.